Thursday, February 19, 2015

White Bean Hummus

Hi there!  Welcome to "The Illusion of Sophistication," the blog about food that tastes like it was harder to make than it really was.

Today, we're making hummus, using Great Northern beans instead of garbanzo beans.  Why?  Because I didn't check my pantry before I went to the grocery, that's why.  

Here's what you'll need:

Great Northern beans, tahini, sesame seeds, ground coriander seed, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, cumin, a lemon, three cloves of garlic, extra virgin olive oil, my pepper mill, and Himalayan Pink salt.  In the background, my trusty Cuisinart food processor, and a citrus press.


You'll want to rinse and drain the beans.  It's an extra step, but worth the effort for the flavor.

I've added about a third of a cup of tahini, which is a sesame paste.  Make sure you stir it well before spooning it out.

A quarter teaspoon of these things.  I'm not usually a stickler on measurement, but these are potent spices, and overkill will reduce enjoyment.


I actually go about an eighth of a teaspoon with the cayenne pepper.  That raw garlic will have a bite, too, so keep that in mind.

I use a zesting tool to get fresh lemon peel into the bowl.  A cheese grater will work.  This brightens the flavor.  Add the juice of the lemon, as well.  This will help the hummus to keep its color, and also helps to brighten the flavor.

Everything added, ready to hit the power.

While the processor is running, I'm going to grind in pepper and salt, and add olive oil until the texture looks silky-smooth.

Plated with pita for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment